. KEFALONIA WEDDING CEREMONIES .
The Catholic wedding service is held in St. Nicolas church, the only Catholic church in Kefalonia, located in the centre of the capital city, Argostoli. A Catholic wedding service where the bride and groom are both Catholics is usually Nuptial Mass, where they will both receive Communion. In the case of marriage between a Catholic and a non-Catholic, the service could be performed outside of Mass, in a wedding ceremony without Communion.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, READ HERE
The Order of the Wedding Service
- The groom is waiting in front of the altar. The bride is escorted to the altar by her father or whoever gives her away. This may be followed by organ music or a hymn
- The priest starts the service and says a short prayer
- Reading from the Bible. This part can be chosen by the couple
- A psalm
- Gospel reading (chosen by the couple)
- The priest gives a short homily or sermon
- Exchanging vows in religious form.
- Blessing the rings - the couple place the rings on each other’s finger, saying vows
- Short bidding prayers are read for the new couple
- Celebration of the Nuptial Mass if there is one
- Reading of a Nuptial Blessing over the couple
- If there is a Mass, the couple receives Communion
- Final blessing
- Signing the register with witnesse